Energy Performance Certificate
Energy Performance Certificate (EPCs) is a certificate for houses and buildings which gives information about the energy consumption and the rate of carbon dioxide emission of that building or house. Energy Performance Certificate of a building not only contains energy consumption and carbon dioxide emission rates of the building but also recommendations about how to use energy efficiently in the buildings.
The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of the building or house using a grade between ‘A’ to ‘G’. Like the energy performence certificates in the electrical devices an ‘A’ rating is the most efficient performance level, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. The average efficiency grade to date is ‘D’. All buildings are measured using the same calculation method, so it is possible to compare the energy efficiency of different properties.
Energy Performance Certificates are very important while renting or selling a building.
- information on a building’s energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
- a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
- detailed estimates of potential energy use, carbon dioxide emissions and fuel costs
- details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment
- who to contact if you want to make a complaint
The recommendation report
EPCs also provide a detailed recommendation report showing what you could do to help reduce the amount of energy you use and your carbon dioxide emissions.
The report lists:
- suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation
- possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made
- how the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property
When recommendations involved in the EPCs are obeyed the buildings become more energy efficient and as a result the property becomes more attractive for sale or rent.
Energy Performance Certificate is Mandotory
Energy Performance Certificate is obligatory for all the buildings except for the ones given below.
- The Industrial Buildings where production is carried out
- The buildings whose planned life time does not exceed 2 years
- Overall usage area smaller than 50 m²
- The places that does not need to be cooled or heated like cattleguard or glasshouse
- The buildings that does not belong to contiguous places with an usage area less than 1.000 m² ’
Energy Performance Certificate can be prepared for homes, offices, schools, hospitals, hotels, shopping malls and trade centers.